1 aubergine sliced in chunks
1 white onion diced
2 red peppers sliced
For the masala paste…
4 garlic cloves roughly chopped
Thumb of ginger roughly chopped
1 tsp each turmeric, paprika, garam masala
1/2 tsp each salt, cayenne pepper, chilli flakes
2 tsp cumin
For the sauce…
1 can of tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
200ml coconut milk from can
Handful of coriander (cilantro) plus more for garnish
Aubergine Tikka Masala
– Full recipe bit.ly/2gGz1HM
Posted by So Vegan on Wednesday, 30 November 2016
1. Heat a little oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Once hot, add in the aubergine and fry for 5 minutes on each side or until slightly brown.
2. Set the aubergine aside and place the onion in the frying pan. Fry for 5 minutes, adding more oil as needed.
3. Meanwhile, make the masala paste by combining the ingredients in a grinder until the mixture is smooth. Alternatively, use a pestle and mortar and grind the ingredients together until they form a rough paste.
4. Add the masala paste and peppers to the frying pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Then add the can of tomatoes, tomato puree and aubergine, and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Use the back of the mixing spoon to squash the tomatoes to create a smoother consistency.
6. Stir in the coconut milk and coriander (cilantro) and cook until hot.
7. Garnish with coriander and serve.