Our minds were figuratively blown the first time we tried Kala Namak salt, otherwise known as black salt.
The strong taste of egg distilled into a vegan-friendly fine powder. How could this be?
Well the answer is sulphur – and black salt has a lot of it!
Black salt has seriously eggy aroma and we mean it when we say a little bit goes a long way.
For this recipe we combine black salt with tofu to create our ‘eggy’ texture, then we add our favourite extra. Seriously simple.
Here’s what you need to know about the recipe:
- You can find black salt at health food stores or simply order it online.
- We use firm tofu which doesn’t need pressing underneath a weight. We simply squeeze the tofu between our hands to rid of any excess water before using.
- The turmeric isn’t essential for flavour. We just add it for a more yellow egg-like colour so you could leave it out if you prefer.
Lately has become our go-to quick lunchtime sandwich.
It’s high in protein and packed with nutrition. You’ll love it!
Vegan 'Egg' Mayo SandwichRoxy, So Vegan Our minds were figuratively blown the first time we tried Kala Namak salt, otherwise known as black salt. The strong taste of… Print This
- 4 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 tsp black salt (kala namak)
- 1/2 block firm tofu
- 1 spring onion
- 4 slices of bread
- vegan margarine
- gem lettuce leaves
- garden cress
- Add the mayonnaise, dijon mustard, lemon juice, turmeric, pinches of salt and pepper and black salt to a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Next slice the tofu into small cubes a few mm in size. Then finely slice the spring onion, add both to the mixing bowl and stir.
- Toast the bread until golden and spread one side of each with vegan margarine.
- Add a few lettuce leaves to one slice of toast per sandwich, then spoon half the ‘egg’ mixture into each sandwich and finish with a handful of garden cress. Done!