- You can find black salt at health food stores or simply order it online.
- We use firm tofu which doesn’t need pressing underneath a weight. We simply squeeze the tofu between our hands to rid of any excess water before using.
- The turmeric isn’t essential for flavour. We just add it for a more yellow egg-like colour so you could leave it out if you prefer.
- Make this sandwich ahead of time and take it with you to munch on while you’re out. You could even make a bulk batch of the eggy filling, refrigerate and build the sandwiches fresh on the day.
- 4 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 tsp black salt (kala namak)
- 1/2 block firm tofu
- 1 spring onion
- 4 slices of bread
- vegan margarine
- gem lettuce leaves
- garden cress
- Add the mayonnaise, dijon mustard, lemon juice, turmeric, pinches of salt and pepper and black salt to a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Next slice the tofu into small cubes a few mm in size. Then finely slice the spring onion, add both to the mixing bowl and stir.
- Toast the bread until golden and spread one side of each with vegan margarine.
- Add a few lettuce leaves to one slice of toast per sandwich, then spoon half the ‘egg’ mixture into each sandwich and finish with a handful of garden cress. Done!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!