We’re not sure what it is about tater tots that makes them so satisfying.
It’s a very unassuming snack. Or is it a side? Who really knows.
Our version uses the broccoli stems and potato skins to not only make these low-waste, but also extra nutritious, too.
We also love our tots crispy on the outside and soft in the middle.
But if you prefer more of a crunch, after grating and chopping the potato and broccoli, squeeze them in a clean tea towel before adding them to the mixing bowl.
This will help to remove even more moisture.
Here are a few things to know:
- Leave the veggies to cool for as long as possible before mixing with the remaining ingredients. This will help the moisture escape and keep the tater tots firm.
- If they feel a little soft when they come out of the oven – don’t fret – leave the tots for a few minutes to firm up before serving.
- You can easily add your own twists with different spices. Sometimes we turn them into curry-spiced tots using cumin, garam masala and ground coriander. Yum!
Low-Waste Broccoli Tater TotsRoxy, So Vegan We’re not sure what it is about tater tots that makes them so satisfying. It’s a very unassuming snack. Or is it… Print This
- 350g / 12.3oz potato
- 1 broccoli head (350g / 12.3oz)
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- ketchup or vegan mayonnaise to serve (optional)
- Fill a saucepan with boiling water and place over a medium heat. Roughly chop the potato (leave the skins on) into 2-inch chunks and cut the broccoli stem into 1-inch chunks. Add the potato and the broccoli stem to the boiling water and boil for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, break up the broccoli head into florets, then add them to the saucepan with the potato and broccoli stem and boil for a further 2 minutes.
- Drain the water from the pan and leave the potato and broccoli to steam cool for as long as possible.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C / 428°F fan and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Meanwhile peel the onion and finely dice it. Once cool, grate the potato and broccoli stem and finely chop the florets with a knife (optional: if you want the tots to be extra crunchy, squeeze the grated/chopped potato and broccoli between a clean tea towel to remove more moisture). Then transfer the grated potato, stem and broccoli florets to a mixing bowl along with the onion and remaining ingredients. Combine with your hands until all the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Next take a couple of tablespoons of the mixture and shape it in your hands to form a cylinder and place it on the baking tray. Repeat until all of the mixture has been used up. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown.