This recipe combines two of our favourite things: carrot cake and doughnuts. These doughnuts are light, fluffy and spiced with gorgeous nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Aquafaba is the juice from a tin of chickpeas and it gives our doughnuts their lovely light texture. It’s important you use unsalted tinned chickpeas, otherwise your doughnuts might taste a little salty!
- You’ll need a doughnut mould tray. We use a shallow tray, which makes 8 relatively small doughnuts.
- 130 g (4.6 oz) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 tbsp aquafaba
- 50 ml (1.7 fl.oz) maple syrup
- 55 g (1.9 oz) vegan margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 65 g (2.3 oz) light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 90 g (3.2 oz) carrot, grated
For the icing:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp plant-based milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan / 400°F and lightly grease the doughnut tray with a small amount of vegan margarine.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine the aquafaba, maple syrup, margarine, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Transfer the wet mixture to the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl, and combine. Then add the grated carrot and mix again until all the ingredients have combined.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the doughnut moulds until each mould is roughly 2/3 full.
- Place the doughnut tray in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the doughnut tray from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the icing ingredients together in a medium sized bowl until smooth. The consistency should be slightly thick so the icing sticks to the doughnuts. If your mixture is too runny, simply add some more sugar.
- Once cooled enough to touch, remove the doughnuts from their moulds.
- Dunk the bottom of the doughnuts (which will be the smoothest side) in the icing and gently lift it out. Use a fork to hook the doughnuts out, if you prefer.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!