- Don’t over-bake the cookies if you want a chewy texture. When you take the cookies out of the oven they’ll probably look a little under, but give them time to relax out of the oven and they’ll be all good.
- You can make the cookie dough ahead of time and refrigerate for a few days or freeze for a month. We love doing this because it’s basically instant cookies whenever we want them!
- If you don’t want to eat them all in one go (how, we’re not sure), then store these in an air-tight container for up to 5 days. But really the quicker you eat them the better they’ll be.
- We use light-brown sugar but we’ve also tested these using demerara and they tasted delicious!
Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies 🍪 Our new cookbook ONE POT VEGAN is out now 👉 sovegan.co/onepvPosted by So Vegan on Wednesday, 12 August 2020
Chewy Chocolate Chunk CookiesBen, So Vegan A key ingredient in these cookies is aquafaba, otherwise known as tinned chickpea juice. Simple drain a tin of unsalted chickpeas and collect the juice. Print This
- 4 tbsp aquafaba
- 100g / 3.5oz granulated sugar
- 100g / 3.5oz light brown sugar
- 150g / 5.3oz vegan margarine or butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300g / 10.6oz plain flour
- 200g / 7oz dark chocolate (70%)
- Add the aquafaba to a small bowl and whisk for a couple of minutes until frothy.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream together the sugars, vegan margarine, vanilla extract, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt until fully combined. Then fold in the aquafaba until it’s fully incorporated. Finally, fold in the flour until fully incorporated, but avoid over-mixing otherwise the cookies will be a little dense.
- Next roughly chop the dark chocolate into 1-2cm pieces and fold into the cookie dough. Divide the cookie dough into 12 evenly-sized pieces and roll each into a ball. Place on a chopping board or a plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F and line 2-3 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Add 4-6 balls on each baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly golden brown around the edges. Note: the cookies will feel soft when you first take them out of the oven but they will harden as they cool down.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and leave to cool on the tray before placing them on a cooling rack. These are best eaten slightly warm!