What’s better than a chocolate chip cookie?
A chewy chocolate chip cookie.
But what’s better than a chewy chocolate chip cookie?
Yeah, you guessed it.
Behold, our chewy chocolate CHUNK cookie.
These cookies are unreal!
A key ingredient in these cookies is aquafaba, otherwise known as tinned chickpea juice.
Simple drain a tin of unsalted chickpeas and collect the juice.
The aquafaba adds moisture and an overall ‘chewiness’, which is difficult to replicate using other typical egg replacers like flaxseeds (believe us, we’ve tired!).
Here are the things you need to know:
- Don’t over-bake the cookies if you want a chewy texture. When you take the cookies out of the oven they’ll probably look a little under, but give them time to relax out of the oven and they’ll be all good.
- You can make the cookie dough ahead of time and refrigerate for a few days or freeze for a month. We love doing this because it’s basically instant cookies whenever we want them!
- If you don’t want to eat them all in one go (how, we’re not sure), then store these in an air-tight container for up to 5 days. But really the quicker you eat them the better they’ll be.
- We use light-brown sugar but we’ve also tested these using demerara and they tasted delicious!
Honestly, we’ve gone through so many batches of these cookies to perfect this recipe.
They’re crunchy on the outside but chewy in the middle.
They’re deliciously sweet, but also rich and decadent.
Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies 🍪 Our new cookbook ONE POT VEGAN is out now 👉 sovegan.co/onepvPosted by So Vegan on Wednesday, 12 August 2020
Chewy Chocolate Chunk CookiesBen, So Vegan What’s better than a chocolate chip cookie? A chewy chocolate chip cookie. But what’s better than a chewy chocolate chip cookie? Yeah,… Print This
- 4 tbsp aquafaba
- 100g / 3.5oz granulated sugar
- 100g / 3.5oz light brown sugar
- 150g / 5.3oz vegan margarine or butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300g / 10.6oz plain flour
- 200g / 7oz dark chocolate (70%)
- Add the aquafaba to a small bowl and whisk for a couple of minutes until frothy.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream together the sugars, vegan margarine, vanilla extract, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt until fully combined. Then fold in the aquafaba until it’s fully incorporated. Finally, fold in the flour until fully incorporated, but avoid over-mixing otherwise the cookies will be a little dense.
- Next roughly chop the dark chocolate into 1-2cm pieces and fold into the cookie dough. Divide the cookie dough into 12 evenly-sized pieces and roll each into a ball. Place on a chopping board or a plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F and line 2-3 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Add 4-6 balls on each baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly golden brown around the edges. Note: the cookies will feel soft when you first take them out of the oven but they will harden as they cool down.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and leave to cool on the tray before placing them on a cooling rack. These are best eaten slightly warm!