The humble banoffee pie.
Possibly our country’s finest dessert.
For our recipe we change things up a little with a chocolate and hazelnut base for a cheeky twist.
We fill the base with a simple coconut toffee caramel, then add a layer of sliced banana and top thick cream.
You can also make this gluten-free using gluten-free biscuits.
This is the final recipe in our #PimpMyPlant series with Elmlea – but don’t panic because we’re going out with a bang!
This vegan banoffee pie is a serious showstopper.
Don’t forget Elmlea Plant Single and Double are both accredited by the Vegan Society.
Plant Double is also the only 100% plant-based, dairy-free, gluten-free and lactose-free cream alternative
This dessert is divine.
- 200g / 7oz vegan biscuits
- 30g / 1oz blanched hazelnuts, plus extra for decorating
- 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp vegan butter (such as Flora Plant B+tter)
- 1 x 400g / 14.1oz tin of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g / 3.5oz light brown sugar
- 200ml / 6.8 fl.oz Elmlea Plant Double
- 2 bananas
- 50g / 1.8oz vegan dark chocolate to decorate (optional)
- Line the base of a 20cm tart tin with baking paper.
- Add the vegan biscuits, hazelnuts, cocoa powder and maple syrup to a food processor. Then melt the vegan butter in a microwave or in a saucepan and add it to the food processor. Process the mixture until broken down and it holds together when pressed between your fingers. Transfer the base mixture to the tart tin and use your fingers to evenly spread it across the base and sides while pushing it down to compress the mixture.
- Next transfer 3 tablespoons of the coconut milk to a small bowl and stir in the cornflour until it forms a paste. Then add the remaining coconut milk to a saucepan over a medium - high heat along with the vanilla extract, sugar, pinch of salt and cornflour paste from earlier. Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring regularly, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes until it forms a thick caramel.
- Pour the caramel straight into the tart tin and leave to cool to room temperature, then transfer to the fridge to set for 2 hours.
- When you’re ready to serve, slice the bananas into 1/2cm thick rings and lay them over the caramel. Next pour the Elmlea Plant Double into a mixing bowl and whisk until it forms stiff peaks and has doubled in size. Spoon the whipped cream over the bananas and spread it all over the pie.
- To finish, roughly chop a handful of hazelnuts and the dark chocolate, then sprinkle both all over the banoffee pie.