Spicy, creamy, crunchy…these vegan quesadillas are a joy to eat. Just be prepared for things to get a little bit messy!
- Make these ahead of time as a great meal prep option.
For the spicy beans:
- olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 x 400 g (14.1 oz) tin of black beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 chilli powder
- salt + pepper
- 1 lime, juice only
For the cashew sweetcorn:
- 100 g (3.5 oz) cashews
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk
- 250 g (8.8 oz) tinned sweetcorn, drained
- avocado, red onion, lime juice, cherry tomatoes and fresh coriander
You will also need…
- 4 tortillas
- Transfer the cashews to a small bowl and cover with hot water. Leave the cashews to soak.
- Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Once hot add in the red onion, black beans, red pepper, ground cumin, paprika, chilli powder and a pinch of salt. Fry for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Next add the water to the frying pan and fry for 5 minutes. Finally, stir in the juice of one lime into the frying pan, then take the pan off the heat.
- Drain the cashews and add to a food processor along with the nutritional yeast, garlic cloves, plant-based milk and pinches of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Next, add the sweetcorn to the blender and pulse the mixture a few times to break down the sweetcorn.
- Build the quesadillas by spreading roughly 1.5 tablespoons of the sweetcorn mixture on to one half of a tortilla. Spread 2 tablespoons of the spicy beans mixture on top, followed by your choice of extra fillings, such as mashed avocado, diced red onion, sliced cherry tomatoes, fresh lime juice and chopped coriander. Fold the quesadilla in half.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Once hot, add the quesadilla and fry for 2 minutes on each side.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 for the remaining 3 tortillas. Slice the quesadillas in half to serve.