- You should be able to find Chinese-style pancakes in your local Asian supermarket.
Vegan Crispy 'Duck' PancakesRoxy, So Vegan We use pulled jackfruit to created a 'shredded' texture and hoisin sauce to bring tons of flavour. Print This
For the ‘duck’ jackfruit:
- 1 x 565g / 20oz tin jackfruit in brine
- drizzle of sesame oil
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp soy sauce
For the plum sauce:
- 3 small ripe plums
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- pinch of Chinese five spice
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 8 Chinese-style pancakes
- spring onion
- sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F fan assisted.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Then slice off the hard cores, chop the cores thinly, then use your fingers to tear apart the remaining flesh. Transfer the pulled jackfruit to a baking tray and drizzle with sesame oil. Stir to combine, then cook in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jackfruit from the oven and stir in the remaining jackfruit ingredients. Cook in the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile – if you’re making the homemade plum sauce – roughly chop the plums, discard the stones and add the flesh to a small saucepan along with the remaining plum sauce ingredients. Simmer for 10 minutes on a low-heat or until the plums are soft. Add a little water if the sauce thickens up too much and use a wooden spoon to squash the plums. Leave to cool slightly for a few minutes, then blitz in a blender until smooth. Transfer the plum sauce to a small serving bowl.
- Steam the pancakes as per the packet instructions. Then thinly slice the spring onion, cucumber and carrot.
- To serve, transfer the pulled jackfruit to a serving bowl and serve alongside the steamed pancakes, cucumber, spring onion, carrot, plum sauce and sesame seeds.