Before we decided to go vegan, duck pancakes were one of our favourite takeaways.
Never in a million years did we think that we would be able to ‘veganise’ this recipe, let alone make it at home ourselves.
We use pulled jackfruit to created a ‘shredded’ texture and hoisin sauce to bring tons of flavour.
The plum sauce is super simple, too.
You should be able to find Chinese-style pancakes in your local Asian supermarket.
And don’t forget, if you love this, then you’ll totally love our debut 5-ingredient cookbook So Vegan in 5, which is available to buy right now.
Roxy & Ben
Crispy 'Duck' Pancakes. The ultimate vegan DIY takeaway ✌️
Love this? Then you'll also love our cookbook So Vegan in 5: sovegan.co/cookbook
Posted by So Vegan on Thursday, 4 July 2019
Vegan Crispy 'Duck' PancakesRoxy, So Vegan Before we decided to go vegan, duck pancakes were one of our favourite takeaways. Never in a million years did we think… Print This
For the ‘duck’ jackfruit:
- 1 x 565g / 20oz tin jackfruit in brine
- drizzle of sesame oil
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp soy sauce
For the plum sauce:
- 3 small ripe plums
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- pinch of Chinese five spice
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 8 Chinese-style pancakes
- spring onion
- sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F fan assisted.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Then slice off the hard cores, chop the cores thinly, then use your fingers to tear apart the remaining flesh. Transfer the pulled jackfruit to a baking tray and drizzle with sesame oil. Stir to combine, then cook in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jackfruit from the oven and stir in the remaining jackfruit ingredients. Cook in the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the plums, discarding the stones, and add the flesh to a small saucepan along with the remaining plum sauce ingredients. Simmer for 10 minutes on a low-heat or until the plums are soft. Add a little water if the sauce thickens up too much and use a wooden spoon to squash the plums. Leave to cool slightly for a few minutes, then blitz in a blender until smooth. Transfer the plum sauce to a small serving bowl.
- Steam the pancakes as per the packet instructions. Then thinly slice the spring onion and cucumber.
- To serve, transfer the pulled jackfruit to a serving bowl and serve alongside the steamed pancakes, cucumber, spring onion, plum sauce and sesame seeds.