- You could use saffron to make this more authentic, but it’s super expensive so we use turmeric as a substitute.
Our brand new recipe for quick & easy One-Pot Vegan Paella ✌️
Love this? Then you’ll also love our cookbook So Vegan in 5: sovegan.co/cookbook
Posted by So Vegan on Tuesday, 9 July 2019
One-Pot Vegan PaellaBen, So Vegan Rich, filling and incredibly satisfying, this one-pot vegan paella is a real treat. Print This
- olive oil for frying
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- pinches of salt and pepper
- 300g / 10.6oz paella rice
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 125ml / 1/2 cup white wine (vegan friendly)
- 1 litre / 4 cups vegetable stock
- 150g / 5.3oz frozen peas
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1/2 lemon
- 150g / 5.3oz jarred artichokes in oil, quartered
To serve with (optional):
- handful of parsley
- lemon slices
- Drizzle a little olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Peel and dice the onion then add it to the pan and fry for 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice the garlic and cut the red pepper into bite-sized pieces, then add both to the pan and fry for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the smoked paprika, turmeric, thyme, a small pinch of salt (the veg stock and capers later will also add lots of salt), a generous pinch of pepper, rice and tomato puree. Stir through and fry for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Don’t worry too much if the ingredients start sticking to the pan.
- Add the wine and simmer a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the wine deglazes the pan.
- Add the veg stock, bring the paella to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer without the lid on for 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Stir in the peas, capers, juice of the lemon and artichokes. Cook for 2 minutes, then remove the paella from the heat.
- Serve the paella in bowls, then roughly chop the parsley and sprinkle on top along with a slice of lemon per serving and freshly ground black pepper.