This winter-warming biryani is packed with tasty veggies, including cauliflower, mushrooms and carrots, which blend really well with the fragrant spices.
- You can easily sub the veggies for whatever veggies you’ve got in your fridge. For instance broccoli and parsnip will work well too.
- We use a vegan madras curry paste in this recipe. And make sure it’s gluten-free if you want this recipe to be gluten-free.
- Opt for a soy-free yoghurt to make this recipe soy-free.
Easy One Pot Biryani
- coconut oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 onion, peeled + sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled + minced
- 1 thumb of fresh ginger, peeled + minced
- 2 green chillies, sliced (optional)
- 4 tbsp curry paste, see notes
- 2 carrots, diced
- 250 g (8.8 oz) mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 240 g (8.4 oz) basmati rice
- 500 ml (16.9 fl.oz) vegetable stock
- 1 handful of fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1 handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- vegan yoghurt
- 1 lemon, juice only
- Heat a little coconut oil in a saucepan on a medium heat. Once hot add the bay leaf and cloves, and fry for a minute.
- Then add the onion to the saucepan and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, chillies and curry paste to the saucepan and fry for 2 minutes.
- Then add the carrot, mushroom and cauliflower to the saucepan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Next, add the tomato, raisins, rice, stock and a pinch of salt, and simmer with the lid on for 25 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Stir occasionally to ensure the biryani doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Take the saucepan off the heat but leave the lid on for 5 minutes so the rice becomes light and fluffy then stir in the mint and coriander.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and a spoonful of yoghurt.
HI What curry paste do you use for the Biryani?
Hi Connie. We use Patak’s Biryani Curry Paste. Thanks!
HI what curry paste do you use in the biryani?
approximately how many calories would this be? THanks!
Hi! Did you use vanilla or plain flavored yoghurt?
Hey Cassidi, we use plain vegan yoghurt.
Very tasty and easy to cook. Thank You. (I used Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste 🙂 )
Can I freeze leftovers?
Wow! This is really amazing and nice yellow coloured biryani. Feeling hungry already! With these ingredients, how many people I can serve?
This is soooooo gooooood!!!!!!!! I made my own curry paste and used it with this one. I just love this. Keep it up!!!
Hi, could you cook this in a slow cooker do you think?
WOW This recipe is AMAZING!!!!!
I just made it, and now is in my top rice recipes. I used Panang curry paste
Thanks for sharing it!!! So good!!!
Hiya! Love your recipes. Just wondering if you wouldn’t mind adding in how long the recipe take to make. If you already have so sorry but I couldn’t find it.
Cooked this twice already. I have coriander Going indoors and now need to plant more. Now planting mint.