Here’s what you need to know:
- It’s really important both ganaches are the right consistency when you add them to the cake. If necessary, you can microwave the ganache for a further few seconds to create a more runny consistency or leave them in the fridge to thicken.
- Our microwave is 800W. You might need to change how long you cook the cake layers depending on the power of your microwave – just make sure you cook for long enough until a toothpick comes out clean.
- We always use soy milk to create our vegan ‘buttermilk‘. Other plant-based milks might not curdle into the right consistency, which means you won’t get the same creamy texture.
- The dark chocolate we use for the ganaches is 70% cocoa, which contains enough fat to create a super silky texture! Other types of dark chocolate might not work very well.
- You’ll need a microwave-safe cake mould. The one we use is a silicone mould which you can order online or find in speciality baking stores.
Epic Microwave Chocolate CakeBen, So Vegan Here’s what you need to know: It’s really important both ganaches are the right consistency when you add them to the cake.… Print This
For the cake mix:
- 300ml / 10.1 fl.oz soya milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 100g / 3.5oz dark chocolate 70%, plus extra for topping
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 200ml / 6.8 fl.oz vegetable oil
- 220g / 7.8oz plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb of soda
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 250g / 8.8oz caster sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
For the middle ganache:
- 150g / 5.3oz dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 100g / 3.5oz vegan cream (we use oat cream)
For the ganache glaze:
- 200g / 7.1oz dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 200g / 7.1oz vegan cream (we use oat cream)
- Combine the soya milk and vinegar in a bowl. Set to one side so it turns into a vegan buttermilk.
- Add the chocolate, coffee and oil to a microwave-safe jug. Microwave for 30-45 secs, remove and stir until fully melted.
- Add the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder and sugar to a large mixing bowl and stir. Then add the melted chocolate and vegan buttermilk from earlier, followed by the vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
- Grease the sides and line the base of an 8” microwave-safe cake mould with baking paper. Pour in half the cake mix and microwave for 5-7 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the mould then turn out onto a cooling rack and leave to fully cool. Repeat for the second cake layer.
- For the middle ganache, add the dark chocolate and vegan cream to a microwave-safe jug, melt for 30 seconds in the microwave, then stir until fully melted. Then leave to cool on the side until room temperature and then pop it in the fridge until it thickens slighlty. The consistency should be runny enough to easily spread, but thick enough so it doesn’t fall down the sides of the cake. When it’s ready, spread the ganache over the top of the first cake then place the second cake on top. Make sure the cake remains on top of a cooling rack. Tip: place the rack on top of a tray to collect the ganache glaze which will run down the sides of the cake.
- For the ganache glaze, add the dark chocolate and vegan cream to a microwave-safe jug and microwave for 30 seconds, then stir until fully melted. Leave to sit for 10 minutes so that it thickens a bit. The consistency this time should be runny enough so it pours down the sides of the cake, but thick enough so it covers the cake easily. When it’s ready, pour the ganache over the cake and use a knife to ease the chocolate around the sides. We top with chocolate curls, but this is completely optional! Slice and enjoy.