- You can make this gluten-free using gluten-free spaghetti.
- The starchy pasta water will add creaminess to the sauce. We usually add half a ladel’s worth, but the exact amount is totally up to you.
- If you can’t find cavolo nero, try using curly kale or even spinach will do.
Garlic + Cavolo Nero SpaghettiBen, So Vegan Our take on the classic Spaghetti Aglio e Olio with one of our favourite greens, cavolo nero. Print This
- 160g / 5.6oz spaghetti (or gluten-free spaghetti)
- salt + pepper
- extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled + thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 large handful of fresh parsley
- 100g / 3.5oz cavolo nero, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- vegan parmesan, for serving
- Cook the spaghetti in salted boiling water until al dente and make sure you reserve a cup or so of the pasta water.
- Add 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil to a cold pan and warm the oil on a medium heat. Next add the garlic and fry gently for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop the parsley stalks and roughly chop the leaves. Then add the chilli flakes and the parsley stalks (save for leaves for later) to the pan and fry for a minute.
- Add the cavolo nero, lemon juice and half a cup or so of pasta water. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Next stir in the cooked spaghetti and add more pasta water if you need to loosen up the sauce.
- Remove the pasta from the heat. Stir in most of the parsley leaves along with pinches of salt and pepper.
- Serve with a drizzle of extra olive oil, the remaining parsley and some grated vegan parmesan.