- You can make this gluten-free using gluten-free spaghetti.
- The starchy pasta water will add creaminess to the sauce. We usually add half a ladel’s worth, but the exact amount is totally up to you.
- If you can’t find cavolo nero, try using curly kale or even spinach will do.
- 160g / 5.6oz spaghetti (or gluten-free spaghetti)
- salt + pepper
- extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled + thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 large handful of fresh parsley
- 100g / 3.5oz cavolo nero, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- vegan parmesan, for serving
- Cook the spaghetti in salted boiling water until al dente and make sure you reserve a cup or so of the pasta water.
- Add 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil to a cold pan and warm the oil on a medium heat. Next add the garlic and fry gently for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop the parsley stalks and roughly chop the leaves. Then add the chilli flakes and the parsley stalks (save for leaves for later) to the pan and fry for a minute.
- Add the cavolo nero, lemon juice and half a cup or so of pasta water. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Next stir in the cooked spaghetti and add more pasta water if you need to loosen up the sauce.
- Remove the pasta from the heat. Stir in most of the parsley leaves along with pinches of salt and pepper.
- Serve with a drizzle of extra olive oil, the remaining parsley and some grated vegan parmesan.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!
I like the recipe.Thnks
Made this today, and it was SO DELICIOUS. My husband went “Omg babe, the flavors are so complex and beautiful.” This is going to become a staple at my place, thanks for the recipe! 🙂