Pisto is a Spanish vegetable stew a bit like ratatouille, made with tomatoes and aubergines. It lends itself perfectly to cosy, autumnal tray bakes and we love the warming kick of harissa.
- Use a plain soy-based yoghurt, but you can use a coconut or oat based yoghurt if you’d prefer to make this recipe soy free.
- 2 courgettes, sliced into half circles
- 1 onion, peeled + diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced (we use red + orange)
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
- 2 aubergines
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled + chopped
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 2.5 tbsp rose harissa paste
- 4 tablespoons of vegan yoghurt, see notes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan / 425°F fan.
- Add the courgettes, onion and bell peppers to an approx. 33cm x 22cm (13”x9”) roasting dish. Drizzle the veggies with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Then slice the aubergines in half lengthways and criss-cross the flesh. Rub the flesh with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper and place them in the baking dish. Roast the veggies for 20 minutes.
- Once finished roasting, remove the aubergine halves from the baking dish and leave them to one side. Stir the garlic, tinned tomatoes, sugar, rosemary and 1 tablespoon of the rose harissa paste into the dish with the other veggies. Then rub 1 tablespoon of rose harissa paste all over the aubergines and add them back into the roasting dish and roast everything for another 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of rose harissa paste with a drizzle of oil, then when everything has finished cooking spoon it all over along with the yoghurt.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!