Super crispy and fluffy potato slices, roasted in fresh herbs, garlic and lemon. Yum! This delicious roast potato swirl is a fun alternative to the classic roastie.
- We recommend using a floury potato (one that contains a higher amount of starch), such as Maris Piper, King Edward or Yukon Gold.
- Using a mandolin will save lots of time, but you could simply use a sharp knife. If you use the latter, it’s important to keep the potato slices submerged in cold water as you go – otherwise they will oxidise due to the starch and begin to discolour. Just be sure to then pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel before adding them back to the bowl.
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves chopped
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled + chopped
- 1.8kg potatoes, we use Maris Piper
- 1 lemon, juice + zest
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan / 400°F. Next prepare the herbs and garlic, then leave to one side.
- Peel, then thinly slice the potatoes approx 3mm (0.1”) thick and transfer to a large mixing bowl. We use a mandolin to speed up this process. If you don’t have a mandolin, simply use a sharp knife and transfer the sliced potato to a large bowl of cold water as you go so they don’t discolour, then drain, pat the slices dry and add them back to the bowl.
- To the bowl, add the thyme, rosemary, garlic, the juice and zest from the lemon, 4 tablespoons of olive oil and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Then mix until the slices are coated.
- Lightly grease a round oven-proof dish or pan approx. 26cm (10”) with olive oil. Stack the slices of potato upright in the dish to create a swirl. Then pour any remaining ingredients from the bowl over the slices of potato.
- Roast for 70-80 minutes or until crispy and golden, and cooked through. If the potatoes begin to brown too quickly, simply cover with a sheet of baking paper.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!