You can expect heat from the chipotle and jalapeños, a lovely fresh zing from the dressing and tons of depth in flavour from the walnuts and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Mix and match the salad and topping ingredients and use up what you’ve got going in your fridge.
For the walnut ‘meat’:
- 100 g (3.5 oz) walnuts
- 50 g (1.8 oz) sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp chipotle paste
- pinch of salt
For the salad:
- 1 sweet gem lettuce, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 30 g (1.1 oz) jalapeños in a jar, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
For the dressing:
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 small handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped + extra for topping
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
For the toppings:
- chopped tomato, sweetcorn, mashed avocado and lime juice
- Add the walnuts to a food processor and pulse until they have broken down and fine. Drain as much oil from the sun-dried tomatoes as possible, then add them to the food processor along with the garlic clove, chipotle paste and a pinch of salt. Process until everything has combined. Then transfer the walnut ‘meat’ to a bowl and leave it to one side.
- Add the sunflower seeds to a pan over a medium heat and toast for 5 minutes or so, shaking the pan frequently to prevent the seeds burning. Then add the sunflower seeds to a large mixing bowl along with the sliced gem lettuce, red onion and jalapeños. Stir to combine the salad and leave it to one side while you prepare the salad dressing.
- In a small bowl, prepare the dressing by combining the juice of a lime with the maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, paprika, coriander, extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- To build the taco salad bowl, add half the gem lettuce salad to each bowl, then half the walnut ‘meat’, chopped tomato and sweetcorn. Then top each bowl with mashed avocado, the dressing, an extra squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkling of coriander leaves.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!