Taco Salad BowlRoxy, So Vegan You can expect heat from the chipotle and jalapeños, a lovely fresh zing from the dressing and tons of depth in flavour from the walnuts and sun-dried tomatoes. Print This
For the walnut ‘meat’:
- 100g (1 cup) walnuts
- 50g sun dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp chipotle paste
- pinch of salt
For the salad:
- 1 sweet gem lettuce, sliced (approx 230g)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 30g jalapeños in a jar, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
For the dressing:
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of Salt
For the toppings:
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 100g (1/2 cup) cooked sweetcorn
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 lime, juice only
- extra coriander leaves
- Add the walnuts to the food processor and pulse until they have broken down and fine. Drain as much oil from the sun-dried tomatoes as possible, then add them to the food processor along with the garlic clove, chipotle paste and a pinch of salt. Process until everything has combined. Then transfer the walnut ‘meat’ to a bowl and leave it to one side.
- Add the sunflower seeds to a pan over a medium heat and toast for 5 minutes or so, shaking the pan frequently to prevent the seeds burning. Then add the sunflower seeds to a large mixing bowl along with the sliced gem lettuce, red onion and jalapeños. Stir to combine the salad and leave it to one side while you prepare the salad dressing.
- In a small bowl, prepare the dressing by combining the juice of a lime with the maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, paprika, coriander, extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- To build the taco salad bowl, add half the gem lettuce salad to each bowl, then half the walnut ‘meat’, 1 chopped tomato and half of the sweetcorn. Then top each bowl with half an avocado, half of the dressing, an extra squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkling of coriander leaves.