Makes 8 burgers.
1 tbsp chia
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup bulgur wheat
150g chestnut mushrooms finely diced
2 spring onions sliced
3 garlic cloves chopped
1 1/2 tsp chilli
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup brazil nuts finely crushed
2 cans kidney beans in water or brine
Handful coriander finely chopped
Handful parsley finely chopped
8 burger buns (suitable for vegans)
For the garnish:
Mushroom & Bean Burger
– Full recipe http://bit.ly/2cZn4cw
Posted by So Vegan on Friday, 7 October 2016
1. In a small bowl mix chia seeds with 4 tablespoons of water and set aside for 15 minutes while the seeds expand.
2. Next, cook the bulgur wheat in the remaining water on a medium heat for 10 minutes or until light and fluffy.
3. Meanwhile, fry mushrooms in a little oil for six minutes or until they begin to soften, then add the spring onion, garlic, chilli, salt & pepper and fry for a further 5 minutes.
4. Drain the kidney beans, pour into a large mixing bowl and mash using a potato masher until mostly broken up but leaving some whole beans.
5. Add the chia, mushroom mixture, bulgur wheat, brazil nuts, coriander and parsley to the bowl, and combine using your hands.
6. Once combined, take a handful of the mixture and shape into a burger. Repeat this step for the remaining 7 burgers.
7. Add a little oil to a frying pan on a medium heat. Once hot, add in the burgers and fry on each side for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Build each burger using your desired garnishes and condiments. We suggest tomatoes, red onion, lettuce leaves, homemade ketchup and vegan mayo.