Pecan pie is a true American classic.
There’s something undeniably satisfying about the combination of pecans and gooey syrup.
Our vegan version is crunchy, it’s devilishly sweet and it’s a real winner.
But be warned…you’ll find it difficult not to gobble this all down in one go!
We add a touch of cinnamon for a cheeky So Vegan twist, but otherwise we rely on classic pecan pie ingredients to create this truly epic dessert.
Things to know:
- It’s important to find good quality full-fat coconut milk, otherwise the cream might not set at the top of the tin. We only use the thick coconut cream in our caramel mixture. If you add coconut water from the tin then the consistency will be too wet and the mixture won’t set.
- It’s best to leave the pie to cool slightly before serving, at least until it has set.
Roxy & Ben
Pecan PieBen, So Vegan Pecan pie is a true American classic. There’s something undeniably satisfying about the combination of pecans and gooey syrup. Our vegan version… Print This
For the pie crust:
- 250g / 8.8oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 120g / 4.2oz vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
For the filling:
- 60g / 2.1oz dairy-free margarine
- 150g / 5.3oz light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 x 400g tinned full-fat coconut milk
- 130g / 4.6oz pecans, plus extra for decoration (we use 40)
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
To serve (optional):
- dairy-free vanilla ice cream
- Pour 2 tablespoons of water into a small bowl and place it in the freezer. Then place the tin of coconut milk in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, add the pie crust ingredients to a food processor and blend until the texture is crumbly. Remove the water from the freezer and add the cold water to the food processor, then process all the ingredients again until fully combined. Remove the pastry from the food processor, shape it into a ball, wrap in baking paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F fan assisted.
- Generously dust a worktop and rolling pin with flour. Remove the pastry from the fridge, then roll it out until it’s approximately 0.5cm thick and a few cm wider than the tart tin on all sides.
- Wrap the pastry around the rolling pin, then lay it over a 9″ tart tin. Push the pastry in on all the sides and trim any excess pastry with a knife.
- Prick the base of the pastry a few times with a fork, then line the base with some baking paper and pour a handful of of rice on top. Blind bake the pastry in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the filling, melt the margarine, brown sugar, maple syrup and cornflour in a pan on a medium heat. Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the flaxseed, cinnamon powder and vanilla extract. Roughly chop the pecans and add them to the pan. Open the tin of coconut milk and scoop out the coconut cream that has set at the top of the tin, and add it to the pan (save the leftover coconut water for another recipe or smoothies). Stir the pecan filling until all of the ingredients are fully combined.
- Remove the base from the oven and discard the rice and baking paper. Then pour the pecan filling inside the pastry and decorate with additional pecans. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the filling looks set and slightly cracked.
- Remove the pecan pie from the oven and leave it to cool before serving.
- To serve, top each slice with dairy-free ice cream. Yum!