- You can use any type of vegan yoghurt. Coconut yoghurt or oat yoghurt are good soy free options.
- We add sugar to the sauce, which balances the bitterness in the tomatoes. However, if you want to leave this out, simply cook the sauce for longer until the bitter flavour is gone.
- Aubergine will also work really well here. Simply roast chunks like we do with the cauliflower, then stir it in at the end when the sauce is ready.
- If you can’t find curry powder, you can substitute with ground cumin or cumin seeds.
- 1 large cauliflower
- vegetable oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 thumb of ginger (30g / 1oz)
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 x 400g / 14.1oz tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp vegan plain yoghurt (or choose soy free option)
- fresh coriander
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 390°F fan-assisted and trim the cauliflower into florets. Transfer the florets to a large baking tray and drizzle with a splash of vegetable oil. Season with pinches of salt and pepper and scatter over 1/2 tbsp of the medium curry powder. Toss through with your hands then roast for 20 minutes.
- Drizzle a little vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Meanwhile, peel and dice the onion then add it to the pan and fry for 8 minutes.
- Peel and dice the garlic and ginger, and deseed and slice the chilli. Then add the garlic, ginger, chilli, paprika, garam masala and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of curry powder to the pan and fry for 3 minutes.
- Then add the tinned tomatoes, sugar, a pinch of salt and simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Meanwhile prepare the rice as per the packet instructions.
- Add the yoghurt to the curry and heat through for a couple of minutes. Then stir in the roasted cauliflower and heat through for a minute.
- To serve, spoon some rice into each serving bowl then spoon the curry on top. Pick some coriander leaves off their stalks and roughly chop the leaves and the almonds. Finish with a sprinkling of coriander leaves and almonds.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!