Snickers bars were a serious treat growing up, and we simply weren’t prepared to give them up when we decided to go vegan!
- If you can’t find oat flour, simply blend rolled oats until fine.
Homemade Snickers Bars 😲
Love this? Then you’ll also love our debut cookbook #SoVeganIn5! sovegan.co/cookbook
Posted by So Vegan on Friday, 21 June 2019
- 10 Medjool dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- large pinch of salt
- 10 tbsp oat flour (or blend oats until fine)
- 4 tbsp golden syrup (or maple syrup)
- 60g / 2.1oz cup peanut butter
- 150g dairy-free dark chocolate
- 3 handfuls of salted peanuts
- Transfer the Medjool dates to a small bowl and cover with hot water straight from the kettle. Leave to one side to soak while you carry out the next steps.
- Line a rectangular tin or box approx. 7" x 5" with baking paper.
- Combine the oat flour, golden syrup and peanut butter in a mixing bowl until smooth, like nougat. Transfer the nougat to a lined box and use your fingers to ease it into the corners and flatten it out.
- Remove the stones from the medjool dates, then add the dates to a food processor along with the vanilla extract, a pinch of salt and 4 tbsp of water. Blend until mostly smooth, scraping down the sides as you go. Transfer the salted caramel to the lined box and spread it out evenly over the nougat.
- Sprinkle the salted peanuts on top until the caramel is fully covered, and transfer the snickers to the freezer for 2 hours.
- When the 2 hours are nearly up, melt the dark chocolate in a microwave or in a bowl over a pan with hot water on a low heat.
- Then remove the bars from the freezer and slice into 5 bars. Using a large slotted spoon, transfer the first bar over the chocolate and spoon the chocolate over the bar until it's completely coated in chocolate. Then place it on a cooling rack or a piece of baking paper. Repeat until the remaining bars are covered in chocolate, then leave them to set, ideally in the fridge.
- These will last for at least 10 days in the fridge. Enjoy!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!
What is golden syrup? Agave?
It’s not the same, but I also used agave syrup instead.
Hey! Agave syrup sounds like a good shout. Let us know how it goes. Roxy (So Vegan)
I have to wonder if golden syrup isn’t just regular corn syrup.
Hey! Do you know on average how many calories these contain?
No it is not corn syrup
i would use maple syrup instead
Coconut flour is shredder coconut ?!
it’s more ground than shredded coconut. you can find it at health food stores.
I made these today. A bit too soft for my taste BUT the flavours were simply amazing!
love that little blender…which brand is it?
it’s a NutriBullet!
What can I use instead of dates? I hate dates but want to be able to make this for my little girl and I as I miss snickers.
Hey @vegan_mummy2 sorry to hear that you don’t like dates..but you can substitute raisins, cranberries, figs,prunes,or even dried apricots or cherries. Hope you like one. Enjoy hun
can you use almond flour, i’m allergic to oats?
hi Claire I am also wondering if I can use gluten free oats and what can I use instead of peanuts as iam allergic to it?
HI yes you can use gluten free oats and you could use any type of nut that you like 🙂 Roxy
Hi, would plain flour work or coconut flour? Thanks! 🙂
[…] Retsept ja pilt: So Vegan […]