A really simple and wholesome pasta, which is packed with protein and flavour.
- You can make this gluten-free by simply substituting soy sauce for tamari and wholewheat spaghetti for a gluten-free version.
- We use dried red lentils which are relatively quick to cook – you can try other varieties but they might take longer to cook until soft.
- The sauce is great for freezing and using as meal-prep. You can also serve it with jacket potato or a grain such as buckwheat.
- olive oil
- 2 carrot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled + diced
- 250g / 8.8oz dried red lentils, rinsed
- 2 x 400g / 14.1oz tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt + pepper
- 1/2 stock cube
- 320g / 11.3oz wholewheat spaghetti
- 40g / 1.4oz walnuts, roughly chopped
- small handful of fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Place a deep pan on a medium heat and drizzle in a tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot add the carrot and garlic to the pan and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils to the pan along with the tins of chopped tomatoes, soy sauce, oregano, rosemary, capers, balsamic vinegar and pinches of salt and pepper. Then crumble in the 1/2 stock cube and pour in 400ml (13.5 fl.oz) of hot water. Bring the sauce to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the lentils are cooked. Add a splash more water if the sauce gets too dry.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta as per the packet instructions. Then add the walnuts to a hot pan on a medium - high heat and toast them for a few minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Serve the lentil ragu on top of the pasta, then top with the toasted walnuts and chopped parsley.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 630kcal / Protein 30.7g / Fat 14g / Sat Fat 1.9g / Carbs 101.7g / Sugar 17.1g / Fibre 25g
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!
It was delicious and so simple to make. Thank you for another great recipe!
Thanks Eli 🙂
Delicious as are all your recipes
It was delicious and simple to make!
We enjoyed this meal