- Use vegan mayo without soy to make this recipe soy-free
Spicy BBQ Cauliflower Wings
Spicy BBQ Cauliflower Wings 😲Posted by So Vegan on Saturday, 14 September 2019
- 500g / 17.6oz cauliflower, without leaves
- 80g / 2.8oz plain flour
- 5 tbsp plant-based milk
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 3/4 cup bbq sauce
For the ranch dressing (optional)
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 or 2 tbsp oat milk
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dry dill
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinches of salt & pepper
To serve (optional)
- sesame seeds
- spring onion
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 390°F fan-assisted and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, plant based milk, mixed herbs, and big pinches of salt and pepper with 5 tbsp water. Whisk until fully combined into a batter.
- Next, add the panko breadcrumbs to a medium-sized mixing bowl along with the vegetable oil. Use your hands to combine (make sure you remove any clumps).
- Trim the stalk of the cauliflower. Then cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets and use your hands to tear apart any big pieces.
- Add the cauliflower florets to the batter and use a spoon to toss them in the batter. Once the florets are fully coated, add them to the breadcrumb mix one at a time and toss them in the breadcrumbs, then place on the lined baking tray.
- Bake the florets for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if serving with ranch dressing, add all the ingredients to a small mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- To make the BBQ hot sauce, add the sauce ingredients to a saucepan or a wok on a low heat. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes until the sauce is hot.
- Once the cauliflower has finished baking, add the florets to the saucepan with the hot sauce and stir through until the florets are fully coated.
- Transfer the hot wings to a serving plate and top with a sprinkling of sesame seeds. To finish, finely slice half a spring onion and sprinkle on top. Serve with the homemade ranch dressing.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!
Made these and they were great! Going to use as a base for crispy cauliflower and just switch up the sauce. Question: what exactly are the “mixed herbs” that you used? Since the recipe didn’t specify, I used poultry seasoning and it was a bit strong at 2 teaspoons so I’m going to try one teaspoon next time unless you have the specific herbs you recommend. Either way, still a big hit and even my omni boyfriend loved them!
Thanks Jeanie! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! We use a blend of dried oregano, thyme, basil, parsley and sage. It comes already mixed in a small pot, but it’s a good point – we’ll definitely be more specific in the future! Thanks for the feedback 🙂
Made the recipe, when making it again i would put the florets back in the oven for 10-15 minutes after coating them with the sauce. Now they turned out a bit soggy and not crispy.
did enjoy them tho!
Can I fry instead of baking?