This sticky teriyaki tofu totally beats a takeaway.
And if you’re cooking for friends, you’ll get tons of kudos when they find out you’ve created it all from scratch.
The sauce is actually really simple to make.
We use 6 ingredients and 1 saucepan for the sauce, and it will be ready in less than 10 minutes.
And don’t forget, if you love simple and tasty vegan food, then you’ll totally love our debut 5-ingredient cookbook So Vegan in 5, which is available to buy right now.
Roxy & Ben
Sticky Teriyaki TofuRoxy, So Vegan This sticky teriyaki tofu totally beats a takeaway. And if you're cooking for friends, you'll get tons of kudos when they find out you've created it all from scratch. Print This
For the tofu:
- 400g / 14.1oz firm tofu
- 30g / 1.1oz cornflour
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- drizzle of sesame oil
For the sauce:
- 1/2 thumb of ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 tbsp mirin
- 4 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 240g / 8.5oz jasmine rice
- spring onion
- red chilli
- large handful of coriander
- sesame seeds
- Remove the tofu from it’s packaging and place it on a plate between a couple of paper towels. Top with a heavy book or mug and leave to press for as a long as possible.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F fan-assisted and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut the tofu into bite-sized pieces and add it to a mixing bowl along with the cornflour, sesame oil and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Stir gently to combine then place the pieces of tofu on the lined baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
- Cook the rice as per packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the teriyaki sauce, peel and dice the ginger and garlic, and add it to a small saucepan on a medium heat along with the soy sauce, mirin and light brown sugar. Then combine the cornflour with 2 tbsp of water until smooth and stir it into the saucepan. Bring the sauce to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until the sauce has thickened, stirring frequently.
- Add the baked tofu pieces to the sauce, stir through and remove from the heat.
- For decoration, peel the carrot into ribbons, finely chop the spring onion and red onion, roughly chop the coriander and quarter the lime.
- To serve, divide the rice between 4 bowls, then add a few ribbons of carrot to each dish followed by a serving of teriyaki tofu. Top with a sprinkling of sesame seeds, a few slices of spring onion, some coriander and a wedge of lime. And voila!