This sticky teriyaki tofu totally beats a takeaway! We make our very own teriyaki sauce, which we coat around crispy tofu pieces.
- If you need to press the tofu, remove the tofu from its packaging and place it on a plate between a couple of paper towels. Top with a heavy book or mug and leave to press for as a long as possible.
For the tofu:
- 400g / 14.1oz firm tofu
- 30g / 1.1oz cornflour
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- drizzle of sesame oil
For the sauce:
- 1/2 thumb of ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 tbsp mirin or rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 240g / 8.5oz jasmine rice
- spring onion
- red chilli
- large handful of coriander
- sesame seeds
- Remove the tofu from it’s packaging and place it on a plate between a couple of paper towels. Top with a heavy book or mug and leave to press for as a long as possible.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan / 400°F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut the tofu into bite-sized pieces and add it to a mixing bowl along with the cornflour, sesame oil and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Stir gently to combine then place the pieces of tofu on the lined baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
- Cook the rice as per packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the teriyaki sauce, peel and dice the ginger and garlic, and add it to a small saucepan on a medium heat along with the soy sauce, mirin and light brown sugar. Then combine the cornflour with 2 tbsp of water until smooth and stir it into the saucepan. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened, stirring frequently.
- Add the baked tofu pieces to the sauce, stir through and remove from the heat.
- For decoration, julienne the carrot, finely slice the spring onion, finely chop the red chilli, pick the coriander leaves off their stalks and quarter the lime.
- To serve, divide the rice between 4 bowls, then add the carrot to each dish followed by a serving of teriyaki tofu. Top with sesame seeds, spring onion, coriander and a wedge of lime. And voila!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!