We love fusion food and this simple and delicious pie is spicy, nutritious and seriously wholesome.
- We use brown lentils, which we soak for at least 15 minutes before we cook them. This helps to reduce the cooking time. You can use any lentils you like, but always check the label because some varieties will need to be cooked for longer.
- You can also boil the sweet potato. But try to remove as much moisture as possible before mashing them.
- The vegan margarine gives the dhal and mash a more robust flavour but you can substitute for melted coconut oil.
Sweet Potato Dhal Pie
Sweet Potato Dhal Pie 😍 Our new cookbook ONE POT VEGAN is out now 👉 sovegan.co/onepvPosted by So Vegan on Sunday, August 2, 2020
- 4 tbsp vegan margarine
- 2 onion, peeled + diced
- 4 garlic clove, peeled + diced
- 1 thumb of fresh ginger, peeled + diced
- 2 red chilli, diced + seeds removed
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- salt + pepper
- 1 courgette, roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrot, roughy chopped
- 300g / 10.5oz green or brown lentils, soaked + rinsed
- 1 x 400g / 14.1oz tin of chopped tomatoes
- 500ml / 17fl.oz vegetable stock
- 1.3kg / 2.9lb sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- fresh coriander, to serve
- Add 2 tbsp of vegan margarine to a pot on a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 8 minutes. Then add the garlic, ginger, chilli, ground cumin, garam masala, ground cinnamon and pinches of salt and pepper to the pot. Fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the courgette and carrot to the pot and fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the lentils to the pot along with the tinned tomatoes, vegetable stock and top up with 1 cup of hot water. Stir, bring to a boil, then lower and simmer for 40 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Add the sweet potato to a steaming basket and steam for 20-30 minutes or until soft. Alternatively boil until soft. Then transfer the sweet potato to a mixing bowl, season with pinches of salt and pepper and add 2 tbsp of vegan margarine. Mash until completely smooth, then leave to one side until the dhal is ready.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F fan-assisted. Transfer the dhal to an oven dish approx. 32cm x 25cm (13” x 10”) in size. Level the top, then spoon over the mashed sweet potato and level it out. Then use a fork to score across the sweet potato. Bake for 20 minutes, then leave it to sit for 10 minutes before serving with a sprinkle of fresh coriander and your favourite veggies.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!