Tiramisu is the perfect ‘make ahead’ dessert. For this showstopper, we use silken tofu and whippable vegan cream for the filling and we make our own sponge fingers from scratch.
- Whippable vegan cream is becoming a lot easier to find in supermarkets and stores. We use the Oatly brand for this recipe which works perfectly. Alternatively you could try whipping the same amount of coconut cream with a few tablespoons of icing sugar, but the cream won’t be as thick.
- We like to use rum in this recipe but you could also use Tia Maria, amaretto, whisky or marsala wine.
- You can always make the recipe alcohol-free. Simply skip the rum and use extra coffee instead
For the sponge:
- 250ml (8.5fl.oz) plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 80ml (2.7fl.oz) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 280g (9.9oz) plain flour
- 20g (0.7oz) cornflour, cornstarch in the US
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda, baking soda in the US
- 180g (6.3oz) caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
For the cream filling:
- 300g (10.6oz) silken tofu
- 100g (3.5oz) caster sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 200ml (2.7fl.oz) whippable vegan cream, see notes
For the coffee soak:
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 100ml (3.4fl.oz) rum (see notes for alcohol-free alternative)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan/350°F and line a 23x33cm (9”x13”) rectangular tin with baking paper.
- In a jug, combine the plant-based milk, apple cider vinegar, oil and vanilla extract and leave to sit for a few minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornflour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and sugar into a bowl. Add the liquid mixture from earlier and stir until it forms a smooth batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the lined tin and bake for 20 minutes or until springy to touch. As soon as the sponge comes out of the oven, sprinkle the surface with 1 tablespoon of sugar and leave to fully cool.
- Once the sponge has cooled, cut it in half lengthways and then slice it widthways into 2cm fingers.
- For the cream filling, place the silken tofu into a blender with the sugar and lemon juice and blend until smooth, then transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Next whisk the whippable vegan cream until light and fluffy then fold in the silken tofu mixture and stir until fully combined.
- For the coffee soak, combine the instant coffee with 300ml (10.1fl.oz) of boiling water, leave to fully cool and then add the rum.
- Pour the coffee soak into a shallow dish and dunk the sponge fingers one at a time in the coffee (take care not to dunk for more than 1-2 seconds or they will become too soggy and break apart). Arrange the sponge fingers into the bottom of a dish roughly 25x18 cm (10”x7”) and use broken up sponge pieces to fill in any gaps.
- Spread half of the cream mixture over the top and dust generously with cocoa powder.
- Now add a second layer of coffee-dunked sponge fingers over the top and spread the remainder of the cream mixture all over.
- Cover the tiramisu and leave to chill in the fridge for 5 hours before serving.
- To serve, generously dust the top with the remaining cocoa powder.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!
Hi . This is lovely recipe. But I couldn’t find the notes, to see what I can use for alcohol free version and the whippable cream.
Hey Manjula the notes are under the first image – hope that helps 🙂
I’m trying this today for father’s Day tomorrow ☺️
Hope you liked it!
Thank you for the recipe! I am going to make this for my housewarming party!