We use cornflakes instead of breadcrumbs, which make these nuggets extra crunchy.
- You can make this gluten-free using gluten-free flour and cornflakes.
- The tofu we buy is usually extra-firm and we only need to press it between our hands for a 10-15 seconds to remove any excess water.
- Most cornflakes aren’t vegan because they contain a form of vitamin D which is sourced from wool, so it’s always worth checking the label.
- 400 g (14.1 oz) firm tofu, pressed + drained
- salt + pepper
- 3 tbsp plain flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 4 tbsp plant-based milk
- 3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 3 cups vegan cornflakes (or gluten-free cornflakes)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan / 400°F.
- Pat dry the tofu, then use your hands to break up the tofu into small nugget-sized pieces. Season the tofu generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the flour to a bowl.
- Combine the plant-based milk and sweet chilli sauce in a bowl.
- Break down the cornflakes into crumbs by blending them in a food processor or crushing them with a rolling pin in a zip-lock bag.
- Transfer the cornflake crumbs to a big plate, along with 1/2 teaspoon of salt, a pinch of pepper, the paprika, garlic powder and mixed dried herbs.
- Coat the tofu pieces first with the flour, then the milk mixture and finally in the cornflakes.
- Place the tofu nuggets on the baking tray and bake for 20 minutes, turning over after ten minutes. Serve with your favourite dip and enjoy!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!