The ultimate festive pie. We add crispy shredded mushrooms to a rich creamy sauce and encase everything in flakey puff pastry.
- King oyster mushrooms are becoming easier to find in supermarkets, but the best next thing are oyster mushrooms – if not just go for regular closed up.
- Generally, wine isn’t vegan but it’s becoming easier to find vegan-friendly versions in supermarkets so check the label to be sure.
- Lots of shop-bought pastry is vegan-friendly but it’s always best to check the labels.
- 500g / 17.6oz king oyster mushrooms
- salt & pepper
- vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- 3 medium carrots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 250ml / 1 cup vegan white wine
- 1 stock cube
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 250ml / 1 cup plant-based milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 200g / 7.1oz Brussels sprouts
- 3 tsp cranberry sauce
- 2 x 320g / 11.3oz sheets of vegan puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 392°F and line a large tray with baking paper. Tear the king oyster mushrooms into shreds and add them to the tray. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with vegetable oil. Combine with your hands then bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and slice the onion, slice the leek and chop the carrots. Heat a drizzle of vegetable oil in a frying pan on a medium heat then add the onion, leek and carrots. Fry for 10 minutes.
- Next peel and dice the garlic cloves and pick the leaves off the thyme. Then add both to the frying pan and fry for 4 minutes. Add the wine and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Crumble the stock cube into the pan and add the flour, plant-based milk and nutritional yeast and stir to combine.
- Slice off the tough ends from the Brussels sprouts and roughly chop them. Then add the Brussels sprouts to the pan along with the mushrooms from the oven (leave the oven on for later). Season to taste with salt and pepper, stir to combine then remove the pan from the heat.
- Next, grease a pie dish with vegetable oil then line the dish with a sheet of pastry. Add the filling inside and even the top out with the back of a spoon. Spoon the cranberry sauce on top and spread it out evenly. Place the second roll of pastry over the top, trim the edges to remove any excess pastry and then crimp the edges. Make 3 incisions in the top of the pastry to allow the steam to escape and use any excess pastry to decorate the top.
- Brush the pie with vegetable oil then bake for 30-40 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!