- You can use any oil you prefer. For this recipe we love to use vegan margarine because it adds a wonderful buttery flavour.
- Of course any pasta will do! Rigatoni or penne tend to work the best because the lovely sauce will work its way inside the tubes.
- It’s really important you cook the passata long enough to remove the bitterness which will bring out the sweet tomato-y flavour.
- For allergens, use oat cream to make the recipe soy free, and gluten-free pasta for a gf version.
Vodka Rigatoni 🔥 BTW did you know we have a new cookbook? You can pre-order your copy of One Pot Vegan today! 👉 sovegan.co/onepvPosted by So Vegan on Friday, 1 May 2020
- 1/2 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine
- salt and pepper
- 400g / 14.1oz rigatoni (or gluten free pasta)
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 80ml / 2.7fl.oz vodka
- 400g / 17.6oz passata
- 200ml / 6.7fl.oz vegan single cream
- vegan parmesan, for topping
- Peel and finely dice the onion and garlic. Add the vegan margarine to a casserole pot or large saucepan over a low-medium heat. As soon as the margarine has melted, add the onion and garlic. Season with pinches of salt and pepper and fry for 10-15 minutes until the onion and garlic begin to caramelise.
- Turn the heat up to medium and add the tomato puree. Fry for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the puree sticking to the pot.
- Next add the vodka and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally and using the vodka to deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Add the passata and simmer on a low heat for 15-20 minutes or until the bitter flavour from the passata has gone.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta as per the packet instructions and make sure you reserve the pasta water.
- When the tomato sauce is ready, add the vegan single cream and 200ml / 6.7fl.oz of the reserved pasta water. Give it a stir and heat through for a minute or so, then season to taste with extra salt and pepper if necessary.
- Add the cooked pasta, stir through, then serve with the vegan parmesan. Lush.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!