These homemade doughnuts (or donuts, depending on where you’re from) are a real delight.
We use a really simple cake mixture and bake these in the oven, which creates a light and fluffy doughnut.
You can use any plant-based milk. We tested these using oat milk, soy and almond, and they all turned out great.
Not all sprinkles are vegan. Some use food colouring which is derived from animals sources, so make sure you always check the labels.
And did you know we have a cookbook? If you love this then you’ll totally love our debut 5-ingredient cookbook So Vegan in 5, which is available to buy now.
Roxy & Ben
Homemade Chocolate Doughnuts
Homemade Chocolate Doughnuts 🍩Posted by So Vegan on Thursday, 19 September 2019
Homemade Chocolate DoughnutsBen, So Vegan These homemade doughnuts (or donuts, depending on where you’re from) are a real delight. We use a really simple cake mixture and… Print This
- 2 tbsp ground chia seeds (or sub for non ground)
- 230ml / 8.1fl.oz plant-based milk
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
- 120g / 4.2oz plain flour
- 80g / 2.8oz light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 70g / 2.5oz Cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 160g / 5.6oz icing sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp planet-based milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- vegan sprinkles (optional)
*You will also need a doughnut tray. We use a 6-tray pan to make 12 doughnuts so the total cooking time is closer to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F fan-assisted and grease a doughnut pan with coconut oil.
- Transfer the ground chia seeds to a small bowl along with 4 tbsp of water. Stir to combine, then set to one side to thicken up.
- Transfer the plant based milk to a small bowl and add the apple cider vinegar. Give the ingredients a stir to create the ‘buttermilk’, then set to one side while you carry out the next steps.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine, making sure no large clumps remain.
- Then melt the coconut oil on a low heat in a saucepan until fully melted and pour into the dry ingredients, along with the chia seeds and buttermilk from earlier, as well as the vanilla extract. Whisk (or use a wooden spoon) until fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into the doughnut moulds so each mould is roughly 2/3rds full. If using a 6 tray doughnut mould like we do, make half the doughnuts now, then reuse the mould later to bake the remaining 6 doughnuts. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes in the mould, then turn out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool fully. If the doughnut hole has closed with cake mix, we use a chopstick to open up the whole.
- If making another 6 doughnuts, rinse out the mould, grease with coconut oil, add the cake mix and bake for 12 minutes.
- While the doughnuts are cooling, make the glaze by combining the icing sugar, cocoa powder, plant-based milk and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add a little more milk if the glaze is too thick or a little more icing if it’s too wet. The consistency should be thick, but wet enough to easily dip the doughnuts.
- Once the doughnuts are fully cooled dunk each one in the glaze, set to one side, then top with vegan sprinkles. These are best eaten the same day!