- You can use any plant-based milk. We tested these using oat milk, soy and almond, and they all turned out great.
- Not all sprinkles are vegan. Some use food colouring which is derived from animals sources, so make sure you always check the labels.
- You will also need a doughnut tray. We use a 6-tray pan to make 12 doughnuts, so the total cooking time is closer to 30 minutes.
- Use a soy-free milk to make this recipe soy-free.
Homemade Chocolate Doughnuts
Homemade Chocolate Doughnuts 🍩Posted by So Vegan on Thursday, 19 September 2019
Homemade Chocolate DoughnutsBen, So Vegan We use a really simple cake mixture and bake these in the oven, which creates a light and fluffy doughnut. Print This
- 2 tbsp ground chia seeds (or sub for non ground)
- 230ml / 8.1fl.oz plant-based milk
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
- 120g / 4.2oz plain flour
- 80g / 2.8oz light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 70g / 2.5oz Cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 160g / 5.6oz icing sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp planet-based milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- vegan sprinkles (optional)
*You will also need a doughnut tray. We use a 6-tray pan to make 12 doughnuts so the total cooking time is closer to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F fan-assisted and grease a doughnut pan with coconut oil.
- Transfer the ground chia seeds to a small bowl along with 4 tbsp of water. Stir to combine, then set to one side to thicken up.
- Transfer the plant based milk to a small bowl and add the apple cider vinegar. Give the ingredients a stir to create the ‘buttermilk’, then set to one side while you carry out the next steps.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine, making sure no large clumps remain.
- Then melt the coconut oil on a low heat in a saucepan until fully melted and pour into the dry ingredients, along with the chia seeds and buttermilk from earlier, as well as the vanilla extract. Whisk (or use a wooden spoon) until fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into the doughnut moulds so each mould is roughly 2/3rds full. If using a 6 tray doughnut mould like we do, make half the doughnuts now, then reuse the mould later to bake the remaining 6 doughnuts. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes in the mould, then turn out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool fully. If the doughnut hole has closed with cake mix, we use a chopstick to open up the whole.
- If making another 6 doughnuts, rinse out the mould, grease with coconut oil, add the cake mix and bake for 12 minutes.
- While the doughnuts are cooling, make the glaze by combining the icing sugar, cocoa powder, plant-based milk and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add a little more milk if the glaze is too thick or a little more icing if it’s too wet. The consistency should be thick, but wet enough to easily dip the doughnuts.
- Once the doughnuts are fully cooled dunk each one in the glaze, set to one side, then top with vegan sprinkles. These are best eaten the same day!