This really is the ultimate garlic bread. Mushrooms give this recipe a new dimension and flavour twist that takes it to the next level.
- You could always leave out the mushrooms if you’re not a fan and stick to a simple garlic + (vegan) butter filling instead.
Mushroom + Garlic Bread Swirls
- 250 g (8.8 oz) strong white bread flour
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus extra
- 1/2 tbsp fast-action dried yeast
- 160 ml (5.4 fl.oz) lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying
- 250 g (8.8 oz) mushrooms, finely sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled + diced
- 2 large handfuls of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- Combine the flour, salt and yeast in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour in the water and oil. Mix together with a spoon, and once combined transfer the dough to a floured surface. Knead the dough for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled mixing bowl and cover with a tea towel. Leave to prove for 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a frying pan on a high heat. Once hot, add the mushrooms and garlic. Fry for 10 minutes or until all the moisture has evaporated.
- Transfer the mushroom mix to a mixing bowl and stir in the parsley, vegan margarine and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Leave to one side while you finish making the dough.
- Punch the dough a few times to remove the air bubbles. Then flour a work surface and a rolling pin, and transfer the dough to the work surface.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle roughly 30 cm (12”) long and 10 cm (4”) wide, with the shortest side facing you, then trim the edges to create neat straight lines.
- Spread the mushroom and garlic filling on the dough and slice the dough horizontally into 10 x 2–3 cm (1”) wide strips. Roll each strip into a swirl and place in an ovenproof dish. Cover the dough swirls with a tea towel and leave to prove again for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C fan / 425°F.
- When the dough swirls have finished proving, remove the tea towel and bake them in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven. Brush the top of the swirls with any margarine that has melted at the bottom of the dish. If there is no margarine left, simply melt an extra tablespoon of vegan margarine and brush it on top.