This charming pudding is a fantastic after-dinner treat. It has a sweet and citrus flavour, and it only requires 10 ingredients!
- It’s really important to avoid removing the lid from the saucepan for at least 30 mins as this can cause the pudding to sink.
- You’ll need a few easy-to-find accessories to create this pudding, including baking paper, foil, string and an oven-proof glass bowl or pudding basin.
- It’s also a good idea to check the water level halfway through cooking and top up with hot water if required.
- 110g / 3.9oz vegan margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 240ml / 8.1fl.oz oat milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 110g / 3.9oz light brown sugar
- 1 orange, zest only
- 200g / 7.1oz plain flour
- 40g / 1.4oz cocoa powder
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (or baking soda in the US)
- 30g / 1.1oz dark chocolate (70%), cut into small chunks
For the chocolate sauce:
- 100ml / 3.4fl.oz oat milk
- 130g / 4.6oz dark chocolate (70%), cut into small chunks
- 1/2 orange, juice only
- Start by greasing a 1 litre (33.8fl.oz) pudding basin or oven-proof glass bowl with vegan margarine.
- Next cut a small round disc out of baking paper and use it to line the bottom of the bowl to prevent the pudding from sticking.
- Combine the oat milk and apple cider vinegar in a jug to create the vegan buttermilk. Stir and leave to one side while you carry out the next steps.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar, margarine and orange zest.
- Then add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda to the bowl along with the vegan buttermilk from earlier and the dark chocolate. Mix to form a smooth cake batter then pour into the greased bowl and level it out.
- Now cover the top of the pudding; grab a square sheet of baking paper and place a square sheet of foil over the top of the baking paper. Fold both down the middle so there’s a pleat which will allow the pudding to expand.
- Place the baking paper and foil over the top of the pudding (the foil should be on top) and down the sides. Fasten securely around the rim of the pudding with a piece of string. Now use some more string to create a handle so it’s easy to place the pudding in the saucepan and to remove it later on.
- Trim off the excess foil and baking paper from below the string.
- Place the pudding in a large saucepan with enough boiling water so that it comes up halfway along the pudding. Ensure the water stays below the foil.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and simmer for 1hr 40 mins. Note: check on the pudding halfway and top up with more hot water if needed.
- For the sauce, add the milk to a saucepan on a low-medium heat and cook until hot. Transfer the chocolate to a small bowl and pour the milk over the chocolate. Stir until fully combined then add the orange juice and stir again until smooth.
- Once the pudding is cooked, carefully remove it from the saucepan and discard the string, foil and baking paper.
- Using a tea towel to protect your fingers, place a serving plate over the pudding and turn it out.
- Pour the chocolate sauce all over and serve immediately as a decadent Christmas dessert.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!