We absolutely adore these cupcakes. They’re light, fluffy and chocolate-y, and topped with a gorgeous peanut butter frosting. What’s not to love?
- Opt for soy-free margarine to make this recipe soy-free.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 150 g (5.3 oz) vegan margarine, melted
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 260 g (9.2 oz) plain flour
- 40 g (1.4 oz) cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 180 g (6.3 oz) granulated sugar
- 150 ml (5.1 fl.oz) plant-based milk
- 1 tsp vanila extract
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp plant-based milk
- 3 cups icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan / 400°F, then line a 12 hole muffin tray with cupcake cases. We use 50 mm (2") cases.
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan on a low heat, then add to a mixing bowl with the remaining cake ingredients. Gently mix the cupcake ingredients until fully combined.
- Spoon 2 tbsp of mixture into each cupcake case or, if using different sized cases, fill until each case is roughly 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 22-24 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove the muffin tray from the oven and transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack. Leave the cakes to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting by transferring the frosting ingredients to a mixing bowl and combining all the ingredients until smooth. If the frosting is too thick, add more milk a small amount at a time. Then transfer the frosting to a piping bag.
- Pipe a generous amount of frosting onto the cupcakes and top with a sprinkling of crushed peanuts and pretzels. Finish with a single pretzel on top of each cupcake.