A rich homemade gravy using fried red onions and a generous splash of red wine. You’ll often find us serving this with roast dinners, pies or our favourite vegan sausages.
- We often make this a few hours ahead and simply reheat on the hob when we’re getting ready to serve.
- If you want to avoid using wine, we suggest adding a splash of balsamic vinegar. Taste and add more as you go until the gravy is to your liking.
- You can easily make this gluten-free by using gluten-free flour.
- olive oil
- 2 large red onions, peeled + sliced
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- salt + pepper
- 1 tbsp plain flour, or gluten-free four
- 500ml / 16.9fl.oz vegetable stock (2 cups)
- 125ml / 4.2 vegan-friendly red wine (1/2 cup)
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a pan on a medium heat. Fry the red onion for 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry 2 minutes
- Stir in the flour and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add wine and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes, then serve.