2017 is nearly over, which can mean only one thing…new year’s eve is upon us!
If you’re hosting this year, or you’re going to a party and you’ve been asked to supply some party bites, why not give these easy taco cups a go?
The taco mixture is our tried-and-testing recipe. It’s on the spicy side, so dial down or leave out the chilli completely if you prefer your food on the mild side.
Make sure you check the ingredients used in the tortillas. Some brands use milk, but it should be easy enough to find a vegan-friendly tortilla.
Top tip: bake the leftover tortilla in the oven for 8-10 mins to turn them into crisps, which you can use with party dips.
Happy new year!
Roxy & Ben
- 6 tortillas
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150 g (5.3 oz) tinned sweetcorn, drained
- 400 g (14.1 oz) tinned kidney beans, drained + rinsed
- 250 g (8.8 oz) cherry tomatoes, quartered
- juice of half a lime
- 1 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder, optional
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan / 400°F.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and taco seasoning ingredients to the pan and continue to fry for 2 minutes.
- Mix in the sweetcorn, kidney beans and cherry tomatoes, and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cups by using a knife to trim the edges of the tortillas, forming 6 large square tortillas. Slice each large square tortilla into 4 smaller squares by slicing down the middle vertically and horizontally.
- Take two of the small squares and layer them on top of each other at an angle to create a star shape. Repeat until you have 12 stars. Then, place each tortilla star in a muffin mould, pushing against the sides of the mould to ensure it’s secure.
- Remove the taco mix from the heat and spoon a tablespoon and a half into each cup.
- Bake the taco cups in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak the cashews in hot water for 10 minutes, then blend the sour cream ingredients together until smooth.
- Remove the taco cups from the oven and serve with a drizzle of lime juice, cashew sour cream and a sprinkle of coriander.
You will also need a 12 tin muffin tray.
Black beans are better than kidney beans!
We do love black beans! Though we use them quite often so we decided to use kidney beans in this recipe. Roxy (So Vegan)
this looks and sounds so yummy and fun! thanks for the recipe!
Do you just use regular, unsalted cashews? Do they have to be soaked or anything special? This recipe looks so tasty!
Hey Courtney. Yep we use regular unsalted cashews. You’ll need to soak the cashews for 10 minutes in hot water, then blend all the ingredients together to make the sour cream Thanks!
Planning on making this for me and my fiancé for the big Super Bowl playoff this weekend ( GO PATIOTS ‼️‼️‼️‼️ )
But how do you prepare the cashews ???? And it’d be more helpful for those of us who do not use metric measures if you’d supply us with regular measurements. Thank you and can’t wait !
Hey Cherie. Soak the cashews for 10 minutes in hot water, then blend with the remaining to make the sour cream. Thanks!
Only recently turned vegan so these recipes are gold, but I really watch the calories so nutritional information would be so valuable if possible
Does the bottom of the taco cup go soggy by baking the beans inside? Would it be better to prebake the tortilla cup?
Hey Alexandra. The taco cup doesn’t get soggy. The tortilla stays nice and firm! Thanks, Ben.