2017 is nearly over, which can mean only one thing…new year’s eve is upon us!
If you’re hosting this year, or you’re going to a party and you’ve been asked to supply some party bites, why not give these easy taco cups a go?
The taco mixture is our tried-and-testing recipe. It’s on the spicy side, so dial down or leave out the chilli completely if you prefer your food on the mild side.
Make sure you check the ingredients used in the tortillas. Some brands use milk, but it should be easy enough to find a vegan-friendly tortilla.
Top tip: bake the leftover tortilla in the oven for 8-10 mins to turn them into crisps, which you can use with party dips.
Happy new year!
Roxy & Ben
- 6 tortillas
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150 g (5.3 oz) tinned sweetcorn, drained
- 400 g (14.1 oz) tinned kidney beans, drained + rinsed
- 250 g (8.8 oz) cherry tomatoes, quartered
- juice of half a lime
- 1 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder, optional
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan / 400°F.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and taco seasoning ingredients to the pan and continue to fry for 2 minutes.
- Mix in the sweetcorn, kidney beans and cherry tomatoes, and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cups by using a knife to trim the edges of the tortillas, forming 6 large square tortillas. Slice each large square tortilla into 4 smaller squares by slicing down the middle vertically and horizontally.
- Take two of the small squares and layer them on top of each other at an angle to create a star shape. Repeat until you have 12 stars. Then, place each tortilla star in a muffin mould, pushing against the sides of the mould to ensure it’s secure.
- Remove the taco mix from the heat and spoon a tablespoon and a half into each cup.
- Bake the taco cups in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak the cashews in hot water for 10 minutes, then blend the sour cream ingredients together until smooth.
- Remove the taco cups from the oven and serve with a drizzle of lime juice, cashew sour cream and a sprinkle of coriander.