- Go for slightly stale bread if you have it. This helps the bread maintain its structure when you dunk it in the wet mixture.
- We use caster sugar because it gives the toast a lighter texture but really any sugar will do.
- If you want to avoid using bananas, you could try using a few tablespoons of applesauce for a similar texture.
- Opt for soy-free yoghurt to make this recipe soy-free.
Valentine’s Day French Toast 💘
Full recipe: sovegan.co/toasty
Posted by So Vegan on Wednesday, 13 February 2019
For the French toast:
- 2 bananas
- 250ml (8.5fl.oz) oat milk
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 thick slices of white bread
- coconut oil for frying
For the toppings:
- 200g (7oz) mixed frozen berries
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- vegan yoghurt (optional)
- maple syrup (optional)
The cupboard essentials:
- Peel the bananas and add them to a mixing bowl. Mash with a fork until smooth and runny.
- Add the remaining French toast ingredients to the bowl (apart from the bread) along with a pinch of salt, and whisk until fully combined, then set to one side for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile add a generous tbsp of coconut oil to a frying pan on a medium heat. Once the pan is hot, dunk a slice of bread into the runny banana mixture so it's fully submerged and completely coated, then carefully add the slice to the frying pan. Fry each slice for 2-3 minutes on each side until crispy. Repeat with the remaining slices of bread, adding more coconut oil as needed (the bread might stick to the pan if you don't add more oil).
- Meanwhile, add the frozen berries and 2 tsp of caster sugar to a saucepan on a medium heat and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the berries have thawed and the sugar has dissolved.
- To serve, stack the slices of french toast on one sharing plate or split between two plates. Then top with the berries, spoon a tablespoon (or two) of vegan yoghurt on top and finally drizzle with maple syrup. And tuck in!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Don't forget to share your SO VEGAN creations on Instagram and tag us at @SOVEGAN!