We teased this recipe on social media a few months back and we had loads of messages asking “what? how…?”
Well it’s finally here.
This is our glorious vegan butter ‘chicken’ curry.
Yep, it’s 100% vegan friendly!
This is the second recipe in our #PimpMyPlant series with Elmlea and their plant creams to help inspire you throughout Veganuary.
We roast oyster mushrooms in spices and Elmlea Plant Single to create our crispy ‘chicken’.
We then add the ‘chicken’ to a smooth, creamy and superbly spiced tomato sauce. Yum.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Adding the mushrooms to skewers helps to make them nice and crispy around the edges. However you can skip this step if you don’t have skewers or if you want to save time. Simply add the mushrooms directly to a baking tray. Although you might need to roast them for longer if you want to achieve that same crispy texture.
- We love to blend the sauce to make it extra creamy, but this step isn’t necessary. Simply keep the sauce in the pan and add the cream.
For the marinade:
- 100ml / 3.4fl.oz Elmlea Plant Single
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 lemon
- 450g / 15.9oz oyster mushrooms
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (such as Flora Plant B+tter)
- 1 onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 thumb of ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 x 400g / 14.1oz tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 170ml / 5.7fl.oz Elmlea Plant Single
- fresh coriander
- basmati rice for 2-3 people
- To prepare the marinade, add the Elmlea Plant Single, paprika, cumin, garam masala, a big pinch of salt and the juice from the lemon half to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Then tear the oyster mushrooms into 3-4cm pieces and add them to the bowl. Stir until the mushrooms are totally coated in the marinade and leave to sit in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 392°C fan.
- Next pierce the mushrooms onto 4 skewers then add them to a baking tray, resting the ends of the skewers over the sides of the tray. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile start preparing the sauce. Peel and dice the onion. Then add the vegan butter to a frying pan over a medium heat. As soon as the butter has melted, throw in the onion and fry for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile peel and dice the garlic and ginger. Then add them to the pan and fry for 3 minutes.
- Next add the cumin, garam masala, turmeric and ground coriander and fry for 3 minutes.
- Then add the tinned tomatoes, sugar and chilli powder to the pan along with a big pinch of salt. Bring the sauce to a gentle simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Cook the rice as per the packet instructions.
- Transfer the sauce to a blender (this is optional), blend until smooth, then pour the sauce back into the pan and stir in the remaining Elmlea Plant Single.
- Remove the mushrooms from the skewers and add them straight to the pan along with any juices that have gathered in the baking tray. Heat through for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir to combine then serve alongside rice and chopped fresh coriander.