Makes 16 churros.
1 cup water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup plain flour
3 cup cups vegetable oil for deep fat frying
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp sugar
80g (2.8oz) dark chocolate (suitable for vegans)
1/2 cup soya milk
zest of a medium orange
You will also need:
A piping bag or food bag
Piping nozzle (we use Wilton 1M)
1. Pour 3 cups vegetable oil into a pan and heat on a medium-high temperature. The oil should be over 1 inch deep so you might need more oil depending on the size of your pan.
2. Meanwhile, in a small pan heat the water and 2 tbsp vegetable oil until it starts to simmer, then remove from heat and add in the flour. Stir vigorously until mixture is smooth and forms a ball, then leave to cool so that it can be handled.
3. Transfer the churro mixture into a piping bag with a star-shaped tip. Twizzle the top of the piping bag so the mixture is tight in the bag and start piping 10cm long churros. Carefully use a pair scissors to cut the end of each churro.
4. When the oil is hot enough, transfer the churros into the pan 2 or 3 at a time and fry until golden brown. Test the oil using a small amount of leftover mixture from the churros. If the mixture turns golden within a minute, then the oil is hot enough.
5. Remove churros from the oil and place on a paper towel.
5. In a small bowl combine the cinnamon and sugar, and coat each churro.
6. To make the chocolate orange dipping sauce, heat the soya milk and orange zest in a small pan and remove from the heat when it’s about to simmer. Add in the chocolate and stir until smooth.
7. Serve the churros with the chocolate orange dipping sauce.
I found this post thru a vegan facebook group! I am so trying this, thank you! <3
Enjoy! 🙂 Roxy (So Vegan)
I got a problem while i was doing the recept.
When i mix the water(+oil) and the flour, the mixture is not smooth, it’s sticky. i used a little less than a cup of flour is it the problem?
Then, in the bag, the mixture was very tough, and i broke my bad exploding!!
Do you have an advise for me?
I had the same experience though.
Hey Teddy and Zara. The mixture should be a thick and sticky dough. If it’s too thick maybe add a little more water but it needs to be thick to hold it’s shape. Hope this helps. Thanks Roxy (So Vegan)
It’s a bullshit!!! Churros will never be made like this!!!
[…] Deliciosos churros veganos con chocolate y naranja para acompañar (pese a que tradicionalmente no llevan mantequilla, leche ni productos de origen animal, en muchas recetas se usan). Traducción al castellano de la receta de So Vegan. […]