This granola recipe is by our friend Sophie Gordon. It’s packed with so much good stuff, making it a great way to start the day.
- Use gluten-free oats to make this recipe gluten-free.
Healthy Homemade Granola
- 3 cups oats, or gluten-free oats
- 1.5 cups raw buckwheat groats
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 medium orange, juice + zest
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup dried mulberries
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan / 400°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with baking paper. Put the oats and buckwheat onto the baking paper and toast in the oven for around 10 minutes – keep an eye out so they don’t burn. Remove from the oven and place to one side.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the tahini, maple syrup, vanilla extract, coconut oil, zest of the orange, 2 tbsp of orange juice, mixed spice, cacao powder and salt. This will form a gloopyish mixture.
- Add the oats and buckwheat to the mixing bowl, followed by the coconut flakes, sesame seeds and mulberries. Make sure everything is coated well.
- Spread the mixture back onto the baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a deep golden brown. Stir and flip half way through – depending on your oven, this may take slightly more or slightly less.
- Once you’ve removed it from the oven, add the cacao nibs and stir. Allow to cool before then removing from the tray and transferring to a jar to store for up to 2 weeks.